Thursday 14 June 2018

Toronto - My old home town

I was born here although I spent the first 3-4 years of my life living in Glat (now Cambridge) Ontario before moving to Elmira, Ontario (Mennonite country!) In grade 3 we returned to Toronto where I lived until I was married. We lived in Mississauga until about 14 years before moving north to the country 1/2 way between Barrie and Orillia where we moved to our ski house, sitting at the top of a ski hill with vistas across Georgian Bay. So now, 25 yrs later we are staying in Mississauga at an AirBnB for the week so we can visit friends and family.
Here is the kitchen of the 2-bedroom, apartment that we have rented for $60/night.
My first day here I rested and tried to catch up on CJCS work and write thank you notes to our hosts on the road trip. Tuesday, feeling better, I just had to head to Square One Shopping Mall, and what a shock that was. Being white, I was in the minority.  Much to my surprise they now have my favourite US store and so I treated myself to a few early birthday presents. Then it was time to pick Mike up at the airport. The line-ups to enter the airport are very long, no matter when you go and finding a parking space might be considered a game with people driving the wrong way in narrow lanes and few spots available. I ended up at the very back, on the roof.

Yesterday we visited with friend Bob who we have known since Mike and I first met. Bob treated us to lunch at "Snug Harbour" which was the Port Credit Yacht Club when we lived here.
then we went to Oakville to visit our friends Don and Karen who live in a beautiful home on the lake, although they spend part of the year in Ontario, part in the USA and are residents of the Bahamas. For years we spent our summers together cruising on Georgian Bay (Lake Huron)

The common denominator is the medal around my husband's neck "World's Best Grandpa" that plays the theme from "Rocky" when you push it. Two of our grandsons have asked him to wear it everywhere on our trip and I am to post photos of him wearing it with our friends. These are two very special people in the lives of our family.

There were threats of a storm and we had a sprinkling of rain at noon and extremely high winds later but most of the rain this time came while we slept!



No comments:

Post a Comment